IDS mailing list archives

Re: Rather funny; looks like page defacement to me

From: <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:48:16 -0400

In general, they are perfectly correct.
Most IDS installations are very expensive packet sniffers because most installations know so little about their
enterprise network that they are unable to tune it in any meaningful way or design and place the sensors to monitor
meaningful traffic.
   I am not saying the IDS are always useless, but they are most useful as part of a well designed network that
partitions traffic so that there is a good baseline understanding of what traffic should appear on each segment.
   Interestingly, they denigrate Intrusion Prevention Systems and hail firewalls, when an IPS is really a firewall with
dynamically generated rule set. Most of use would agree that an internal office network requires a firewall between it
and the Internet. The firewall normally only has a static rule set that basically only guarantees that TCP virtual
circuits have correct TCP semantics and , for application gateways, that the traffic follows the protocol RFC.  Most
attacks these days are not at the layer 2/layer 3 level guarded by a firewall, but at layer 7 or above, using the fact
that Application protocols like HTTP, FTP, SMTP etc. have enough holes in them that a perfectly standards conforming
stream can be used to attack a host at the end of the stream.
  Most IDS are still installed by people who don't even understand TP/IP, let alone HTTP, or the proprietary stuff
coming from Real Networks or Microsoft. How are they going to properly tune an IDS to avoid wasting a lot of time and
effort on false positives or, conversely, ignoring everything so the IDS has no teeth.
  So most IDS systems are a waste of money. They may be useful if they are installed by a MSSP who actually understands
security, but not by the average sysadmin handed another box and told to install the IDS because the auditors say we
need one.