IDS mailing list archives

RE: [IDS] IDS Common Criteria

From: Randy Taylor <gnu () charm net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:09:31 -0500

I appreciate the comment, Rob, but he didn't say it that way, nor
could I infer it from his post.

He opened with the blanket comment, "Security is not a process".
Paraphrasing H.L. Mencken, the statement looks clear, simple, and
correct, but in fact it's just dead flat wrong.

While I can pretty much concur with the rest of his comments as to
what CC is and so on, his initial statement negates the rest of his
post. I wasn't picking nits. He opens with a position that denies the
existence of process and then describes a security paradigm...that is
a process by its own definition.

Hello? *knock knock* Anyone home?

I agree with you that CC and a process-oriented security approach
are different "things" in and of themselves. CC is about security, arguments
to its validity or usefulness notwithstanding, and it is a process in its
own right. A process approach to security is a model that happens
to include the CC as one subprocess out of many in the work world
I live in these days. Your CC mileage can and will vary from project to
project.

I'd like to hope most of us never have to deal with CC. The NSTISSP No. 11
policy letter makes me think more and more of us will have to deal with it,
though, as U.S. lawmakers form a coherent national network infrastructure
security policy.

That said, those that know me and have worked with me are very aware
of the healthy disregard I have for the mindless spewage that appears in
the guise of "Process" from the dimension known as "The Land of The
Pointy-Haired Clueless Managers". But that's a different type of "thing"
entirely. )->

...or something...

Randy

-----
people are too complex an organization of
molecules to be able to predict reliably.
 -- From "Zodiac" by Neal Stephenson