IDS mailing list archives

Re: Gig TAPs

From: "Talisker" <talisker () networkintrusion co uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:09:34 -0000

Peter

Netoptics is actually the manufacturer of Intrusion's taps.  I think I
heard that Netoptics makes > taps for Finisar (formerly Shomiti) as well.
If all taps are made by one company, then it's all   about price and
support.

After seeing your post I got straight on the phone to beat up on Intrusion
for misleading me.  It transpires that the TAPs are made by Intrusions
sister company.   NOT Netoptics.  I should have realised the manufacturing
process was very close after a visit there late last year.  I arrived at
Intrusion in Dallas on a Tuesday, suggested an alteration in the design and
the altered  TAP was handed to me on the Thursday.  I was a student on a
course and made a comment during a visit to the labs, by far the most
impressive service that I have seen in years.

I have TAPs from at least three companies, Shomiti included.  The Intrusion
ones are different.  Though I have to admit 2 of the others are extremely
similar except for the packaging.

take care
-andy

Taliskers Network Security Tools
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk
Netoptics is actually the manufacturer of Intrusion's taps.  I think I heard
that Netoptics makes taps for Finisar (formerly Shomiti) as well.  If all
taps are made by one company, then it's all about price and support.

http://www.netoptics.com/
http://www.finisar.com/product/product.start.php
http://www.intrusion.com/products/product.asp?lngProdNmId=39&lngCatId=4

I've seen taps used in dozens of deployments.  Never have I had problems
with them.

Peter Schawacker, CISSP
Senior Systems Engineer
NFR Security