IDS mailing list archives

Re: Gig TAPs

From: "Talisker" <talisker () networkintrusion co uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:41:26 -0000

Suffice it to say, however, that a tap is a tap is a tap, as far as I've
been able to tell.

If only it were that simple, when they are tested they need to be able to
cope with a variety of traffic, as Rob Shein eluded to in a previous post
".... Did they demonstrate it on a network using really large packets, with
all traffic of equal packet size and zero fragmentation?  Or was it on a
real network..... "

How does the tap deal with full duplex, does it rely on you coping with it
by providing 2 outputs or does it do it internally on the proviso that once
the network reaches it's capacity ie 100Mb/s in either one direction or
50Mb/s in both directions it drops packets.

Is there a fail safe, and almost as importantly does the fail safe kick in
instantly.

Then there are the minor issues, how sturdy are they, we had to return one
(nameless) because the power connector was loose, losing sensor data
everytime we went in the rack.

Overheating, the aircon failed, the servers all managed no problem but the
tap died first taking with it  the failsafe and therefore the network
connection.

Finally and fairly important for me, can I visibly demonstrate to network
owners that there is no transmit and therefore that I am not introducing a
firewall bypass.

One of the best I've seen was a hotch potch of fiber/ethernet media
converters (3) cobbled together, worked fine but proved expensive and a
nightmare finding sufficient power outlets.

Most important of all though is how bright the little LEDs can flash and how
many colors  ;o)

take care
-andy

Taliskers Network Security Tools