IDS mailing list archives

RE: Protocol Anomaly Detection IDS - Honeypots

From: pbsarnac () thoughtworks com
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:55:54 -0600

I think you're trying too hard to find negatives with the system. There are
many situations where this would not be an acceptable tool, however there
are many situations where this could be invaluable. It seems perfectly
suited for detecting insider attacks, especially against high-risk and
high-value servers that by their very nature require higher levels of
protection and can therefore justify higher levels of effort and time.

In the end, this is simply one more tool for our toolboxes, and shouldn't
be considered as a solution in and of itself.

|         |           "Rob Shein"      |
|         |           <shoten@starpower|
|         |           .net>            |
|         |           02/21/2003 04:07 |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       "'Augusto Paes de Barros'" <augusto () paesdebarros com br>, "'Jordan K Wiens'" <jwiens () nersp
nerdc ufl edu>|
  |       cc:       <focus-ids () securityfocus com>
        |
  |       Subject:  RE: Protocol Anomaly Detection IDS - Honeypots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

At what point does this concept get too unwieldy?  In this scenario, people
have to have knowledge of the various types of LDAP traffic (and know how
differentiate them on the wire) in order to write the rules to catch a
single type of honeytoken.  I certainly don't have that breadth of
knowledge, and I've learned how to do a whole lot of different things.
There are workarounds for almost anything under the sun, but some of them
require workarounds that make them infeasible.  I think the overhead in
terms of administration and and braintrust that would be needed to seed an
enterprise with such granular honey-things is better spent on other ways of
securing that enterprise.