IDS mailing list archives

Re: Network IDS

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:22:55 -0400

Andreas Krennmair wrote:

It can _detect_ the traffic, but it does NOT protect your system! As
soon as you detect an attack, it has already happened, and if it was
successful, your system is compromised. So, use secure software, since
you can't rely on your NIDS. Why have a NIDS that records all attacks
against a machine, when the machine is compromised after one of the
attacks?

I have a couple of points in response to this:

   1. Detection is a prerequisite for protection.
2. I care about all attacks levied against my systems, and you should too. If the first attack succeeds - that absolutely is a high priority event, but it's not the only event that occurred. If someone breaks into your system, you should absolutely want to know everything that happened. If the first attack is used to gain a shell and a second attack is used to inject a listening backdoor port, I absolutely don't want to exclusively focus on the original attack and not focus on the other attack. Assuming that you're just going to be able to look at the target system and detect all of the abnormalities is naive. 3. If you've found a list of absolutely 100% secure software, please share it. I've never seen a piece of software that hasn't had security holes. Until you have software that can't be compromised, you need other methods of detecting attacks (and detection, again, is a prerequisite of protection - and thus the two are intertwined). So, you still need a method of detecting attacks that is not tied to the target system which, once it's compromised, can't be trusted for anything. That is, of course, unless you've found a way of protecting against attacks that you don't know have happened - in which case I'd also like to know how that can be.

You have to understand that detecting an attack does not protect your
network/system against this attack, since a NIDS sensor is totally
passive. And intrusion prevention systems are getting "funny" as soon as
you encounter false positives.
I completely understand that NIDS is a passive technology. It won't protect your network for you - but it's an essential component in a comprehensive defense strategy.

Use sandboxing software, e.g. systrace. It works pretty well on a number
of Unix-like operating systems.

Yes, but sandboxing software is itself not without it's own issues and holes. It's not a be-all, end-all solution and it's irresponsible to portray it as such. Sure, use sandboxing software, that's great! But you still have to detect attacks against the box.

For instance: if you have a web app that has an online user information database that is used by the web app. You can sandbox the processes to your hearts content, but the sandboxed app still needs access to the data, so the data is available from within the sandbox - in this case, your sandbox has done nothing but sit there.

The ultimate point I'm trying to make is that there is no single solution to protecting systems. There is no box that can't be penetrated and there is no box with a red flashing light that sits in the corner and magically detects crackers. Until such a product exists, and it probably never will, you will still have to use tools to detect attacks and attempt to mitigate them using the detection mechanism.

         -Barry

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world’s premier technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors. Symanetc is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6 Visit: www.blackhat.com