IDS mailing list archives

Re: Network IDS

From: "Sam f. Stover" <sstover () iwc sytexinc com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:12:38 -0400

Then a NIDS is not the right thing for you. Network Intrusion Detection
is not about protecting systems.

I disagree. Yes, it would seem like something of a waste of resources to protect a single server/system with an NIDS sensor. But, if that particular system or group of systems is mission critical, then a NIDS is precisely what you need. So, even in that situation, I can see someone deploying a sensor to detect network traffic based attacks.

This is a semantic issue in which (I believe) the Andreas' post meant that NIDS don't actually protect, they alert. A home security system doesn't stop people from breaking into your house - but it does alert someone to the fact that something wrong happened. I mean there are other things that may scare the thief away, like the lights coming on or the police pulling into the driveway, but the fact remains that most home security systems (as well as a passive IDSs) don't stop the intrusion from occurring.

At least, I'm guessing that's what you meant, Andreas?

Now, the semantic argument that says that "NIDS is not about protecting systems" basically states that NIDS is about protecting networks.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what this sentence means. I don't necessarily differentiate between "systems" and "networks" - should I?

Factually, this is true - Host IDS is about protecting a *system* and NIDS is about detecting intrusions over the network. But never, ever, ever, ever forget that a network is composed of a group of systems.

My view (as an ex-IDS vendor employee) is that the IDS isn't actively "protecting" anything (NIDS or HIDS, for that matter), but alerting you when something does happen, so you can take action. IPS, OTOH, does do "protecting" (and self-inflicted DoS) as opposed to just "alerting", which the original poster should be aware of. It's my understanding that this thread originated on the request for advice on how to implement IDS to protect. Passive IDS indirectly protects in that it imparts information/knowledge (i.e. power) to the user to help undertake protective measures, but does no actual protecting/prevention, in and of itself.

For full system protection, he should be deploying a Host IDS on the servers/systems he's defending... but an NIDS is a really good idea for detecting attacks that happen over the line. What if someone compromises the system and kills the HIDS and deletes the logs in the middle of the night?

Let's examine your scenario further. Assuming someone did own the system, kill the HIDS and wipe the logs. What did your H/NIDS do to protect you? Nothing. They can provide forensic evidence (well, the NIDS anyway in this particular example ;-), but no "protecting" occurred. This is a point that too many folks pass over, in their hurry to implement an IDS security solution.

Now, before all the vendors jump down my throat, pretty much everyone is implementing offensive capabilities into the IDS like session shootdown for passive IDS and in-line "firewalling on steroids", so there are definitely active protective measures available (and I'm sure someone will expound on how their IDS "can do all that, and more!"). This is the crucial point to my post though, if the original poster wants something that will "protect" instead of "alert", then this needs to be discussed early on in vendor negotiation for the ultimate solution for their network.

My $0.02
FWIW
IMHO
YMMV