IDS mailing list archives

Re: Where is Ron Gula? (was "Changes in IDS Companies?")

From: Randy Taylor <gnu () charm net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:35:34 -0500

Response inline below...

At 04:41 PM 11/15/2002 +0000, Kevin Jones wrote:

Samuel Cure wrote:

Just noticing some changes with some known IDS companies and wanted some
feedback from the community. Because Marcus Ranum left NFR earlier this
year and Ron Gula has left Enterasys Networks, I am questioning the future
of some early-on IDS companies.

Maybe I missed the formal announcement, but...

Can anyone confirm / deny that Ron Gula has in fact left Enterasys?

I have to ask, following rumors & denials earlier in the year about this
on the Dragon IDS mail list, dated from late June:

>Now that Ron Gula has left Enterasys, what does the future hold for
>Dragon?  Does anyone have a concern about that?

Response from Randy Taylor, Enterasys Networks:
>I would if Ron had actually left Enterasys. Fact is he hasn't.

And I was correct. 8) As you can see from Ron's response over the
weekend, he left Enterasys in September, not June. ;)

There hasn't been any mention of him on the Dragon list (or post from him)
in many months...
SO, where in the world is Ron Gula?? And, what does it mean for Dragon if
he is gone?

As Ron also stated in his weekend response:

"I also have a lot of confidence in the team working on Dragon now."

And it's well he should, since he asked most of us to come onboard
and work to make Dragon a success. ;)

Ron is one of my closest friends. I would much rather be working
with him under the Dragon flag, but paraphrasing Marcus Ranum's
post recently, there's only so many times you can try to illuminate
the corporate "suits" about IDS before your brain ruptures. It's not
Ron's fault they were bred, born, raised, and dwell in clueon-free
atmospheres.

Dragon, in and of itself, was, is, and continues to be the result
of the efforts the team Ron assembled. We are all still there working
on it.

To answer the FUD we've been hearing thorough the grapevine, yeah, it's
safe to say we have little love for our corporate parent, but Dragon is in our
DNA now (thanks Ron! argh!), and those conditions are not uncommon in the
acquisition world - a team of what Stan Lee (Marvel Comics) used to call
"Titanic True Believers" in a struggle against the ordinary, staid, uninspired
corporate Borg.

That said, Dragon will be just fine. The team that created it and continues
to improve it will be just fine (we're never satisfied with it ;) - angst notwithstanding
(this too shall pass) - and Ron will be just fine. Knowing him as I do, I am
certain Tenable Network Security will be a success.

Curious,

Kevin Jones

Speaking as a private citizen,

Randy
----
"There's a lesson to be learned from this,
but I'll be damned if I know what it is."
     ----- Al Bundy -----