IDS mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Prevention Systems

From: "shannong" <shannong () texas net>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:32:43 -0600

A more legitimate name would be Intrusion Mitigation Systems. Surely,
none of us operate under the guise that any of these systems can prevent
intrusion to a system/network.  Rather, they can stop the easy, obvious
ones.

It seems were calling an reactive IDS and IPS.  With that in mind,the
techonology is definitely immature and unproven especially with respect
to network based solutions.  The problem isn't the reactive measures
that "prevent intrusions", but rather it's the IDS engine that runs
behind it that is the problem.  I still consider IDS an immature
technology.

Stopping something known to be "bad" is fairly "easy" with alogrithms
and heuristics. The hard part is determing what's "bad".  IDSs are not
very effective at this yet.  False positives make up a major part of the
IDS events on any system I've seen.  Sure, you can tune over a long
period of time, but you'll still spend hours a day if you track down
every alert. "Over tune", and you'll miss real events worth
investigating. It is very easy to generate undesirable responses from
reactive IDS solutions using spoofing, etc. to block legitimate traffic.

If an organization considers the risk of preventing legitimate traffic
acceptable, then an IPS is worth looking into.

Most thoughts here are shared with a network based solution in mind.
Host based IPS solutions are more palatable because they represent less
threat to preventing legitimate traffic.  Or at least limit the problem
to a single host rather than to an entire network at large.

-Shannon