IDS mailing list archives

Re: Distributed Scans

From: "Ron Gula" <ronald.gula () verizon net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 7:47:34 -0500

Hello, Steve,

Not sure if you are interested in a commercial product, but since you
mentioned Nessus, you may want to check out our Lightning Proxy
and Lightning Console products from Tenable Network Security. The
Lightning Proxy allows you to run many Nessus scanners at the same
time for very fast scans of very large networks. The Lightning Console
allows you to control the scans and distribute the results on a per IP
basis for multiple people in multiple organizations. It also receives IDS
logs from several IDS solutions like Snort and Dragon, so you can
distribute those results as well. The console also does vulnerability
correlation. For example, if you get a Snort event for a system that is
vulnerable to a particular attack, the Console will email all of the owners
of the systems.

We're just entering BETA testing now, but there is good information
on our web site. Check out www.tenablesecurity.com

Ron Gula
CTO, Tenable Network Security

Folks,

Straying a bit from traditional IDS, momentarily, and
moving into the realm of conducting system scans so as
to detect potential risks that can be exploited, I have
a question:

In particular, do any of you know of any pre-existing
tools that would take the results from scans of a
distributed environment (e.g., using Nessus on a class
B) that can then have reports generated for particular
zones, or subnets, and can be delivered via https or email
to authorized/authenticated users for the particular
zones or subnet(s)?

Again, my scanning tool of choice is Nessus and I'm
currently working through the issues of being able to
generated reports for various admins across our distributed
environment most efficiently.

Thanks in advance for any insight and help!

Regards,
Steve

.

Best regards.