Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX 515 7.1 vs: 8.0

From: Brian Blater <brb.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 22:04:08 -0400

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Christopher J. Wargaski
<wargo1 () gmail com> wrote:
Brian--
   One of the things that the unrestricted license for a 515E does is allow
more than 3 network interfaces. When you run the "sh ver" do you indeed see
the UR license listed? Also, when you run "sh int" with the 4FE card
installed, do you see all the interfaces? I do not think that the license
needs to be upgraded or reapplied when upgrading to a new major PIX-OS
release. However, I do not think that I have tried it. Here is a thought,
save your config, wipe NVRAM and load 6.3(5) on to see if all 6 interfaces
work.
   If you are unable to make the 4FE card work, you can always put the 1FE
card i, trunk to a managed switch and use VLAN interfaces.
   Now that DHCP and routing have been addressed, is inbound and outbound
traffic flowing on the inside and outside interfaces?

cjw

Now that I've figured out which port is which on the 4FE-66 (see my

One new question about this is if my inside interface is a security
100 and my dmz is a security 50 and I have no ACL defined on the
inside interface, how come a ping from the inside to the a device on
the dmz does not work? The only ACLs on the inside are the implicit
rules any to any less secure and any any deny. Is it that I would need
to have an additional rule on the dmz to allow icmp from the inside to
the dmz?

Thank you for the help. If you can't tell, I know enough to be
dangerous, but certainly not enough to be a guru at this.

Brian