Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: Tracy Reed <treed () ultraviolet org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:38:49 -0700

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 05:03:27PM +0400, ArkanoiD spake thusly:
There are some right things happening, though. I see many firewalls are now
capable of dealing with http based appliactions quite complex ways.
Looks like FOSS is lagging behind again (except WAF part) :-(

The demand just isn't there.

the GPL side. Because open source is about community, and reaching critical
mass is very hard, especially if you come with a nich? product aimed at the
enterprise. This is a feat neither FWTK nor Zorp have been able to reach.

Quite amazing, but fwtk (old TIS once) was there once. But it was 15 years
ago :-(

I have only ever known one person who attempted to implement fwtk and actually
proxy protocols. Everyone else just packet filters and calls it a firewall. And
that's all any security standard or regulation I have ever seen requires as
well.

Easy to use "firewall-oriented" Unix toolboxes like Smoothwall, Shorewall,
IPCop, m0n0wall etc have reached that quite easy, but they are not really
"aimed at the enterprise", they are aimed to be user-friendly at low
end/soho.

Depends on what you mean by enterprise. I know lots of companies with millions
in revenue using them.

Maybe I should start with designing simple kick-start tools for newbies? Will
it help?

What would these tools be kick-starting?

6. The world is changing. This means that new buzzwords coming up, followed
dutifully by the market. Fortunately new buzzwords usually mean the same
old things. Those ideas which have been too immature 20 years ago, reemerge
later in a different name and shape. You are looking for application level
firewall? Look at "xml firewall" and "SOA firewall".  They are out there.
Yes, they are specialized into a very tiny subset of the problem space (and
the rest is still uncovered), but maybe that is the most important part
anyway.

XML/SOA firewalls were expected to have great future, but they are useless
unless you have detailed system design documents with data flow described in
the tiniest details and you are ready to spend about 10% of resources (or
even more) used to implement the system itself on security related issues.

A lot of this whole business sounds very buzzword compliant. A lot of people
see to weigh the expense of purchasing/configuring/maintaining the fancy
firewalls vs the perceived risk. They end up implementing nothing more than a
packet filter.

I am also seeing labeling and information flow control gaining momentum.
You should be very familiar with both TNI and the modern enterprise
architecture to catch a glimpse of it, but it is there and growing. And our
profession is changing, too.

That's amazing, because from the very beginning it was quite obvious that
labeling and information flow control is the foundation of information
security.

That's one of the reasons why I like SE Linux. Labels are nice. Like having a
nice type system in a programming language to make sure things don't go wrong.

Despite that, people ignored it for years, until they got better ad hoc
labeling tools with DLP.  Better later than never :-) Again, opensource
solutions are barely visible here :-(

Again, no demand. Everyone wants a "community" and nobody wants to build
something which hardly anyone will use.

I guess the first thing we do need is a good companion endpoint security
solution, capable of data discovery and classification as well..

How would something like this work?

--
Tracy Reed