Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Slow FTP transfers

From: "Bill O'Connell" <boconnell () libertycreativesolutions com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:55:58 -0500

I've had a similar problem twice.

The first time we had a bad network cable that was causing repeated resends due to a short. This sometimes caused
timeouts if a file couldn't be transferred within a certain amount of time

The second time we had a wireless T1 that was being blocked by a tree. Small files came across, but large files would
sometimes time out. Not always, though, due to the fact that the tree's leaves would blow in the wind or be still.

Both issues were basically the same. Frequent packet errors which cause retransmits and eventually timeouts when the
sending computer does not get a response. It taught me to never overlook the basics!

Bill O'Connell Network Solution Manager
Liberty Creative Solutions, Inc.
18625 West Creek Dr.  |  Tinley Park, IL 60477
V: (708) 633-7450
F: (708) 633-7449
www.libertycreativesolutions.com