Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: secure firewall rule management program

From: rainer.ginsberg () basf-it-services com
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:03:35 +0200

Hi Morty,

I know of three commercial products that claim to fulfill most of your
requirements. I haven't used them nor even seen a demo, so I can't share
any experience. They are (in alphabetical order)
 - AlgoSec FireFlow <
http://www.algosec.com/en/products/fireflow_overview.php>
 - Check Point SmartWorkflow <
http://www.checkpoint.com/products/softwareblades/smartworkflow.html>
 - Tufin SecureChange Workflow <
http://www.tufin.com/products_securechange_workflow.php>

While Check Point's product only works for their line of firewalls, the
other two products claim to support multiple firewall vendors.

Best regards,
Rainer

Rainer Ginsberg
Security, Voice & Network Planning

Phone: +49 621 60-94660, Fax: +49 621 60-6694660, E-Mail:
rainer.ginsberg () basf-it-services com
Postal Address: BASF IT Services GmbH, IN-CP - C010, 67059 Ludwigshafen,
Germany

www.basf-it-services.com

BASF IT Services GmbH, Registered Office: 67059 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Companies' Register: Amtsgericht Ludwigshafen, HRB 3541
Managing Directors:
Andreas Biermann, Dr. Ralf Sonnberger
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Andrew Pike

             "Mordechai T.
             Abzug"
             <morty+fw-wiz@fra                                          To
             kir.org>                  firewall-wizards@listserv.cybertrus
             Sent by:                  t.com
             firewall-wizards-                                          cc
             bounces@listserv.
             icsalabs.com                                          Subject
                                       [fw-wiz] secure firewall rule
                                       management program (Plain)
             03.09.2009 09:18

             Please respond to
             Firewall Wizards
             Security Mailing
                   List
             <firewall-wizards
             @listserv.icsalab
                  s.com>

Anyone have suggestions for a good, secure webified firewall rule
management program?  I.e. the kind of thing where users submit
requests for firewall holes and there's support for workflow so that a
requested rule goes to an approver for approval, and if approved, it
then goes to an implementer for implementation.  COTS or free is fine.

Requirements:

* Secure code!  The firewall request system should not itself be a
  security hole.

* The system should allow users to submit rule requests, to be
  approved by designated "approvers", and if approved, implemented by
  designated "implementers".

* Awareness of firewall topology.  I.e. the product needs to be aware
  of which firewalls a given request traverses so this information can
  be available to approvers and implementers.

* The system should include a notion of rule expiration, with
  attendant workflow.

* The system should support change requests to existing rules, with
  attendant approver/implementer workflow.

* The ability to abstract users into departments or projects,
  ie. instead of the rule for the accounting web server belonging to
  an individual, it belongs to "accounting".  Even better if an
  individual can submit for multiple projects, ie. a sysadmin who
  works for both accounting and marketing can annotate "this rule
  belongs to accounting" and the like.

* Sane role/permissions scheme, ie. user from department 1 can't
  modify rule requests for department 2, and the like.

Desirements:

* The ability to export rulesets into popular firewall formats

* The ability to import existing rules from popular firewall formats

* The ability to search for IPs in rules using CIDR specifications

* COTS or free.  We have some budget, but if there is something free,
  we certainly won't complain.

[People who have been around a while might remember that I asked this
question some years ago.  Unfortunately, there were no answers other
than some private, "yes, we'd like that too."]

- Morty