Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Edge appliance (firewall) that filters/monitors/records instant messenger?

From: Victor Williams <bwilliam13 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:34:49 -0600

FYI,

Secure Computing's solution acts as an IM proxy, which requires DNS changes (a zone for every DNS host that *might* be serving as an IM gateway for whatever service; Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc). I'm more or less looking for a solution that will automagically detect IM traffic at the perimeter. SC's solution doesn't do that (by itself). You have to forcefully re-direct packets to the appliance some kind of way...either through DNS or using it as a Socks proxy (which doesn't actually work) or some fancy policy routing or...

I am going down the road now of just setting up an internal IM solution (either Live Communications Server 2007 or Openfire) and using the public IM options in each of them, with full auditing turned on, and making the public IM gateway(s) of the Openfire server the IronIM appliance (which we already have one of). Openfire literally sets up in a few minutes, which is nice. LCS 2007 has more options that integrate more with their whole Exchange 2007 stack and whatnot. For right now, I will probably go the Openfire route until we've fully deployed VoIP and Exchange 2007 and have it integrated with our PBX and voicemail.

ArkanoiD wrote:
SC's IronMail should be capable as well. They used to have a separate
product (called IronIM or something), but now it is integrated into
IronMail.

You may also block it using pretty generic firewall rules (except
web gtalk which is tricky to block if you still need gmail to work)