Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Managing multiple Cisco Pix's

From: James Burns <james.burns () sunderland ac uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:26:11 +0100

Sorry, to clarify:

We will have two firewalls at either side of our campus serving the same internal network, but with different /external/ addresses - this is necessary because of the way that our provider has arranged things.

Each runs OSPF. Both units are, in effect, active - but no traffic will be passed via the "backup" until the primary goes down, because of the way that the routing is configured.

Cisco allows for active/active failover between Pix units, but ONLY if they are running multiple security contexts, and we do not do this, nor need to. What we're looking for is an elegant and preferably inexpensive way of keeping the ruleset up-to-date on both boxes without the need to manually edit on both every time a rule is added/amended.

Hope this makes things clearer!

James

Paul Melson wrote:
In effect we are going to end up with two separate devices, but that we
will want to have matching rulesets
on. My question, therefore, is - what software is available for managing
multiple Pix units, and (if you've
any experience of it) is it any good?

Just to be clear, you are going to have 2 firewalls.  One through which all
traffic will pass, and another through which no traffic will pass.  Until
the former breaks, in which case all traffic will manually be switched over
to the latter.  Correct so far?

If you're comfortable with the command interface and manually editing
configs (as opposed to using PDM from a web browser), then I would recommend
Kiwi CatTools* for managing configurations.
PaulM

* http://www.kiwisyslog.com/kiwi-cattools-overview/