Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Managing multiple Cisco Pix's

From: Timothy Shea <tim () tshea net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:11:49 -0500

Incorrect.

Pix 7.x and above support "active-active" which allows both firewalls
to handle traffic versus the traditional active-passive in which all
connections are sent through one firewall until something triggers a
failover event.  Think of this as Pix's version of load balancing but
this can also be used in situations were  asynchronous routing
conditions exist in which case the pix would sync its config and
state information over the network.  I was looking at this at my last
full time position before I left.

What I don't understand from the original e-mail is why he chose not
to use the multiple context support?  This is required for active-
active.  Otherwise he would need some other device to handle load
balancing between the two firewalls (CSS or BigIP).  So in essence -
he has two different firewall configs to deal with.  For only two pix
firewalls I just handle it by command line.  For new changes I create
a text file with the change and apply it to both firewalls and the
changed is archived.

t.s