Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Tina Bird" <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:10:48 -0800

That's really what I'm trying to get people to think
about. What is a firewall? Is it just a router that has a
tiny little bit of amplification to ACL+"established"?
Or is it a device that does security at higher layers,
including some layer-7 awareness? If it's doing layer-7
stuff, can it be excused from worrying about fragment
re-assembly (how could it possibly?) or re-ordering?

Is it possible that a "firewall" is largely "a router
with a sticker on it that says 'firewall'?"

Unless it's doing a lot of useful "deep" stuff at
layer-7, I'd say that might be the situation.

The question I want you all to start asking is:
"What's 'deep' about that?"

You didn't ask about the "stateful inspection" stuff and
look what happened. Now that they know you're suckers
they're gonna hit you with another load.

mjr.

back in the day, when i picked sidewinder over checkpoint, cisco, or any of
the other firewall vendors out there [due to the fact that sidewinder was
built on a mandatory-access-control based operating system, right from the
start, and that i could easily use OS tools, not firewall tools, to monitor
the traffic the firewall was allowing through], my working definition of
firewall was "device that *separates* the internal network from the
internet," where "separates" meant there was a network connection from the
internal machine to the firewall, and a separate connection from the
firewall to wherever...and in between there was something that DIDN'T ROUTE
TRAFFIC, that knew at least a little about the most dangerous protocols and
let me make access control decisions based on what the traffic contained. so
yes, in 1996 i could control who in the company got to use FTP "put" vs. FTP
"get." not a huge thing, maybe. but enough to separate sidewinder from the
competition at least at that point, especially when combined with the
OS-level security that to this day, i don't think any of the competition can
touch.

through a really ugly-but-effective architecture, sidewinder was even able
to isolate SMTP in distinct zones, years ahead of the competition.

i firmly believe that the firewall an admin finds easiest will always be the
first one she used, like most other apps and tools. i'm therefore grateful
that i picked a system that did thing like provide daily reports *out of the
box* on traffic levels, top ten dests, and that sort of thing. that let me
easily verify that the traffic going through the firewall agreed with what i
had configured in the policy.

when i finally had to pick up other brands of firewalls, i discovered that a
lot of things i'd taken for granted (like network address translation) on
the sidewinder had to be manually configured on a lot of other systems, and
that a lot of the tricks i'd developed to check my own work (or my
co-administrator's work) didn't work any more. but worst of all, i
discovered that checkpoint and the like **allowed network connections
directly between the internal and the untrusted networks** after a few rules
were applied. THEY MISSED THE WHOLE POINT!

if i can't have marcus' airgap firewall, at least give me something that
does not require routing to be enabled on the box, and gives me *some* kind
of isolation between my network and the Evil Outside.

i've never understood how *marketing* could obfuscate that *simple* fact --
direct connection vs. terminated connection -- which to me seems like *such*
an easy way to protect things...thus my, uh, attitude towards marketing
became set rather early in my career, alas...

cheers -- tbird