Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OT? New compromise.

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <probertson () FluidITGroup com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:07:15 -0400

J. Oquendo wrote:
[Pine doesn't like the encoding, so I'm replying from this account]
Stian Øvrevåge wrote:

On Windows
/c:\netstat -an |find /i "listening"/

Why download when you can use existing tools...

Ever heard of rootkits?

No I haven't can I buy this somewhere? I don't use Windows but if I

Come on, the point was very valid.  I wish more admins would consider it
when things go from incident to investigation it's important.

Sysinternals (before MS rolled over them) had some neat tools one
of which provided the admin with the name of the program running
that had said ports opened along with the DLL file information, etc.
I'm sure older Forensics disks (F.I.R.E, Snarl) etc., have the tool
on them.

Sysinternals *still* has some neat tools, and (yep, mark it on your
calendars, I'm saying it) Microsoft rolling over them has actually
improved things somewhat.  Instead of multiple versions, you now tend to
get just one binary that'll run on all the platforms.  They're still
redirecting the URL too.

Paul

--
President and Chairman, FluidIT Group
Moderator, Firewall-Wizards.  Editor, Network Firewall FAQ