Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall scaling

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:19:15 -0400

Sami Ghourabi wrote:
I'm trying to convince management that a firewall that supports 32000
concurrent sessions is enough for an organization that has a single WAN
internet link, and about 60-100 users, but I'm lacking arguments.

Sami - you obviously work for retards. If they need to have arguments
from their technical staff regarding matters of technical obviousness,
they clearly don't understand the problem and aren't likely to ever
understand it.

My suggestion is that you tell them "Industry Expert Marcus Ranum
SAYS that for 100 concurrent users you need EXACTLY 3,560
concurrent session capability."  It's based on a formula that I
would publish, except that, unfortunately, it was classified by the
IAEA.

mjr.