Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN question

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:51:31 -0500

possible -

my answer would have been terse:

"logging ike at debug level on the cisco would tell you a lot more than anyone on this list could"

Scott Pinzon wrote:
Just about everyone on this list is more qualified to answer than I am, but since I haven't seen any other replies, I'll take a stab at answering. I don't know about the Pix specifically, but many firewalls have a Phase 2 setting that forces key expiration after a specified period of time. This is to make sure the tunnel is not sitting idle for long periods, susceptible to being abused. The symptoms you describe would be consistent with one end of the VPN tunnel having a different key expiration timing than the other end of the tunnel. It could be that one end of the tunnel is forcing expiration, then the two ends auto-negotiate a new tunnel... which is why the tunnel is down for five or ten minutes, then comes back. Long story short, I'd try checking for compatible "force key expiration" settings on both ends of the tunnel.
Hope this helps!
Scott Pinzon, CISSP
WatchGuard Technologies