Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: X server in a Firewall

From: John M <idm.john () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)

Are you trying to say that a dumb idea is less
dumb if it's a FORTUNE 500's dumb idea?

I just mean a complex network. A Fortune 500 has a
more complex network than ACME Corporation and a
Fortune 100 has a more complex network than a Fortune
500 and surely Bush has a more complex network than a
Fortune 100, so to process all that Google logs...

You know what? I think remote GUI administration
using
a bloated bucket of crap like X windows is a dumb
idea
no matter whose it is.

But what do you think about a _local_ GUI
administration (via X window) in a firewall?

My question was: what is better (or worse), taking in
account the GUI requeriment: a local X window server
running in the firewall, to be managed localy(that is,
no remote access)  or a web server, ssh based system
or another port based in a proprietary protocol, to be
managed remotely?

Or rephrasing the question: which is riskier?