Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Different Authentication For vpngroups On PIX

From: Mike Bydalek <mbydalek () contentconnections com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:20:53 -0700

Paul Melson wrote:

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [fw-wiz] Different Authentication For vpngroups On PIX

Currently we have a PIX 515E with a vpngroup setup to use AAA via. radius. What I'm trying to do is create a second vpngroup that doesn't

Nope, vpngroup user-authentication is only for forcing individual per-IP
authentication for clients behind a another PIX or VPN3K configured in
client mode.
Ah, thank you for clearing this up as I wasn't aware of that.

I'm not sure you can even do what you propose.  I think it's 1 crypto map
per interface, 1 client auth method per crypto map until you get to PIX OS
7.x on the ASA class firewalls (where you set this up like a VPN3K).

Either way, your crypto map must specify what type of client XAUTH it will
use.  If it doesn't specify, then no XAUTH is used and it only checks
vpngroup/password to allow access.  That's what's happening to you now.

This makes sense.

Let me then take this and change my question a little. What I am trying to do is have a server automatically VPN in, backup some files, and then disconnect. In order to do this, one of the options is storing the user/pass on the server (not the best idea in the world, but if I have to, I have to). So, what would then be the best way to setup for this scenario?

Thank you,
Mike Bydalek