Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Different Authentication For vpngroups On PIX

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:02:48 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [fw-wiz] Different Authentication For vpngroups On PIX

Currently we have a PIX 515E with a vpngroup setup to use AAA via.
radius.  What I'm trying to do is create a second vpngroup that doesn't
use AAA (yes, I > know what I'm doing and have valid reasons ;) ).  What's
happening is that when I take > out my line crypto map line of:

   crypto map outside_map client authentication freeradius

and add the following lines to my vpngroup I want to authenticate:

   vpngroup myauthgroup authentication-server freeradius
   vpngroup myauthgroup user-authentication

people in myauthgroup are able to authenticate with no client
authentication.  The
Cisco VPN client just let's them connect as long as their group password
is correct.

Nope, vpngroup user-authentication is only for forcing individual per-IP
authentication for clients behind a another PIX or VPN3K configured in
client mode.

I'm not sure you can even do what you propose.  I think it's 1 crypto map
per interface, 1 client auth method per crypto map until you get to PIX OS
7.x on the ASA class firewalls (where you set this up like a VPN3K).

Either way, your crypto map must specify what type of client XAUTH it will
use.  If it doesn't specify, then no XAUTH is used and it only checks
vpngroup/password to allow access.  That's what's happening to you now.

What might (but probably won't) work:

aaa-server freeradius protocol radius
aaa-server freeradius (inside) host 10.1.2.3
aaa-server localauth protocol local
crypto map outside_map client authentication freeradius
crypto map outside_map client authentication localauth

Then set up your vpngroup as you normally would and use 'username' to add
local  user/pass pairs.  But again, this probably won't work.

PaulM