Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

NFS and Cisco

From: hermit <hermit921 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 21:47:57 -0800 (PST)

I have been seeing NFS problem on my network lately, after nfs worked well for years.  The major
change is that the network folks have put in a lot of new Cisco equipment.  When I run tcpdump on
the nfs server and client I see client sending packets to the server, server getting them and
replying, but the reply packets never make it to the client.  I often see fragment flags on the
packets, and I started to wonder if Cisco switches or routers might have a habit of dropping
fragmented packets.  When packets go through the Nokia firewall, some times packets get dropped
because the port doesn't seem to be recognized as part of the nfs connection, and some times
packets don't get dropped at all.  Any suggestions will be welcome.

hermit921