Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: scanning...

From: Carric Dooley <carric () com2usa com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:10:53 -0500 (EST)

It sounds like a real mess.  Ideally, you would need to scan everyting
from each network from what you are saying, and that could be a little,
err.. resource intensive?

I think if it were my network, I would consider finding a company who does
this regularly, and make the bastards that set it up pay for the expense
of getting someone to map it out (this is fair, but probably not
realistic.. ideally the contract language should have been rife with words
like "knowledge transfer", and "accurate documentation", etc.  Oh well..
something to keep in mind for next time).  I am digging my tired brain,
but there used to be this group that actually taught a class on network
mapping, and showed you how to do multi-layer layouts in Visio (this was
like 2000, and they were considered network troubleshooting gurus, I
guess).  GOT IT!! Pine Mountain Group (http://www.pmg.com/).