Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hopefully not too OT

From: Jim MacLeod <jmacleod () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 11:13:09 -0700

jimmy () chickenhollow net wrote:

...I am trying to see where our vulnerabilities lie. In my searching, I pondered long and hard on rogue wireless APs and contractor/vendor laptops with wireless ebabled becoming a potential vector...
I don't think a jammer is going to fix your problem, but you've heard that from everyone else too.

You need a method to control access to your network. Although a written policy is a useful tool to protect you and your company, it's not going to be the quick fix you're looking for. It provides a warning to users, and authority to you. However, like any rule, it may require smacking someone down before it's taken seriously. It also doesn't protect you against accidental misconfigurations.

I think Ben's suggestion of disregarding "inside" and "outside" was the closest solution so far. You can't keep the people on your site from plugging stuff into the network, but you can keep that stuff from talking to anything else. Anything which requires authentication before communication should work.

802.1x is designed to address this very issue by identity-verifying each node. Granted, the rollout is going to be tough, especially if you've got anything non-standard, which you probably do in a company that size.

You could also set things up so that all of the employees access the servers via VPN. An SSL VPN wouldn't require deploying client software, but it could require rearchitecting your server strategy, and there'd still be user training issues.

If you're seriously limited on budget, the smallest solution may be to set up computers on various networks to scan for wireless networks. These could be old PCs that have been rotated out of use, and the no-cost solution is to access each one periodically using VNC. Come to think of it, this idea was also suggested by Ben.

Remember that any solution that's idiot-proof just hasn't been tested with a big enough idiot.

-Jim