Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Hopefully not too OT

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:10:41 -0400

Ben Nagy wrote:
<soapbox>

And, if you want to sleep at night, then build your network so that the
concept of "inside" and "outside" aren't important anymore. You should be
able to construct an architecture such that even if (WHEN) any random
internal machine turns malicious on you then its scope for damage is
mitigated by internal controls. Remember that this is exactly what current
malware aims to do - subvert 'any' internal machine.[...]

That's a short-term fix, but eventually you can't assume an
entire host can be a write-off, and you'll go into application level
controls, a trusted computing base, etc., etc.

Where we're heading is toward the eventual painful realization and
admission that the orange book guys were right all along. It really
is all about trust, containment, and controls to define an authorized
policy set. Y'know, all that "default deny" stuff??

The computing world/industry has been in complete denial about
security since the "desktop revolution" wrested system adminstration
from the hands of the professionals who ran the mainframes and
gave it to mom and little 5th grader billy. It's a "gift" that has come
with a terrible price. Since that day we've been penduluming
back and forth between "lightweight desktops" and so forth -
the current "appliance" fad is just the next evolution and I don't
know what'll replace it but it won't be any solution, either. The
problem is that we're just flat-out refusing to think about this
stuff in an orderly manner, so we're jumping from quickie fix
to quickie fix based on whatever is getting marketing hype this
year. It won't work.

What disturbs me most is that whenever you say the words
"trusted computing" in some environments, people's minds
shut down and they start saying "NO! We don't want to go
there!" -- the same people who, seconds before, were
listing the requirements for their next-generation computer
systems and were basically saying they needed trusted
computing platforms.

I guess eventually we'll grow up about this whole thing. Remember,
computing (and computer security) is such a recent invention,
that there's certain to be several transformative technical
revolutions in the next 50 years - revolutions so profound we
can neither predict nor prepare for them. These toys we are
playing with today will be like Bleriot's monoplane or
Cugnot's steam car in comparison. "Don't sweat it," in other
words.

mjr.