Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: MJR on Linux/OSS

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:51:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

So, marcus, which dist did you end up with? <smirk>

I couldn't find my BSDI disks.  :(
So I would up using RedHat ES. And, of course, the BSD-db
code that built fine on Fedora didn't work right on it for mysterious
pthreads-related reasons that I refuse to take the time to figure out.
Why should I have to?

What the Open Source advocates just don't seem to get is
that "fragmentation" didn't just *happen*.  I think it's pathetic
that people are now arguing about how to converge on a
common Linux interface spec. Excuse me? There was
one Linux spec, back when Linux came out.

The spec seems to me, and I've discussed this with Patrick Volkerding, who seems to feel the same is that the specs is more a "let's define red-hat as the defacto linux spec".

        [SNIP]

Aside from ego-reasons, who needs 60 different versions
of UNIX? Scott McNealy was right when he suggested, "all
the wood behind one arrow" - I suspect that most UNIX
users would be thrilled to death if there was just one darned
UNIX again. I wouldn't care which. I can adapt O/S knowledge
in a couple weeks. I just don't want to do it every week. :)

Bah, this is a useless discussion. Everyone wants to
reach for immortality by being a contributor in "the big thing"
it's not actually about accomplishing an objective, it's
about posing, stylin' and having fun on the journey. :( A
bunch of amateurs is not going to beat Microsoft, no
matter how much I wish they could.

What I've found interesting is SUN's adoption of much of what is open source in their latest offerings, openssh/ssl, wu_ftpd... Has anyone had time to ascertain how much SUN is now really opensource? How about the other vendors these days? < we're a pretty much SUN/AIX exclusive site where I reside now, with fingers being poked into linux > I'm not referring to emulation to merely run binaries < if compiled with that vendors preferred dist of linux or BSD > but replacing their packages and tools with opensource ones?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

...Love is the ultimate outlaw.  It just won't adhere to rules.
The most any of us can do is sign on as it's accomplice.  Instead
of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet.
That would mean that security is out of the question.  The words
"make" and "stay" become inappropriate.  My love for you has no
strings attached.  I love you for free...
                        -Tom Robins <Still Life With Woodpecker>