Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: MJR on Linux/OSS

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:53:19 -0500

So, marcus, which dist did you end up with? <smirk>

I couldn't find my BSDI disks.  :(
So I would up using RedHat ES. And, of course, the BSD-db
code that built fine on Fedora didn't work right on it for mysterious
pthreads-related reasons that I refuse to take the time to figure out.
Why should I have to?

What the Open Source advocates just don't seem to get is
that "fragmentation" didn't just *happen*.  I think it's pathetic
that people are now arguing about how to converge on a
common Linux interface spec. Excuse me? There was
one Linux spec, back when Linux came out. Fragmentation
was a choice (and a bad one) made by enough members
of the Open Source community. For ego reasons, financial
reasons, or sheer "not invented here" butt-headedness, we
now have some ridiculously huge number of distributions of
an operating system that, fundamentally, is not different
enough to be interesting. Ditto on the BSD camp. I used
BSDI and it was good. I don't give a rat's ass about the
personality conflicts and ego-puffery that brought us
OpenBSD and FreeBSD and whatnot. I observe that
this kind of playground attitude is not going to beat
Microsoft.

Aside from ego-reasons, who needs 60 different versions
of UNIX? Scott McNealy was right when he suggested, "all
the wood behind one arrow" - I suspect that most UNIX
users would be thrilled to death if there was just one darned
UNIX again. I wouldn't care which. I can adapt O/S knowledge
in a couple weeks. I just don't want to do it every week. :)

Bah, this is a useless discussion. Everyone wants to
reach for immortality by being a contributor in "the big thing"
it's not actually about accomplishing an objective, it's
about posing, stylin' and having fun on the journey. :( A
bunch of amateurs is not going to beat Microsoft, no
matter how much I wish they could.

mjr.