Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Strange Pix behavior.

From: Jim MacLeod <jmacleod () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:43:39 -0700

Paul Melson wrote:

I'm sorry.  You're absolutely correct.  It is not an RST+ACK, but rather a
FIN+ACK from the server in response to a FIN+ACK sent by the browser.
Hrm, that could explain why the other folks that have seen this problem have fixed it with a code upgrade, if the PIX is purging the table entry too soon.

I would wager that if George looks through his logs, he is only seeing these
entries for TCP connections.  The example he gave was specific to HTTP, so I
think this still applies.
The problem could be caused on UDP traffic with a session timer set too short. Come to think of it, that could also cause the TCP session errors. This assumes that these protocols have periods of time when there's no data being transferred. If the remote server is heavily loaded and not sending responses quickly, could that do it?

As far as the normalcy of this behavior, I think that nearly any stateful
firewall that has multiple clients behind it experiences session state
mismatch, which these log messages are a symptom of.  It's part of the
nature of stateful firewalls.
Although your explanation makes sense, it doesn't explain why this behavior is only observed on occasional firewalls, such as George's. It definitely sounds like state mismatch, but I still think it's possible the HA setup is part of the problem by causing delays in state table updating at the beginning of the session.

I wouldn't suggest that anybody eliminate all
'drop' messages from their log stream, but if you know that any drop message
from [someaddr]:80 to [nataddr]:[>1023] is erroneous, why not keep it out of
your monitoring/analysis?
It's a good filter suggestion, but I personally prefer to include all data in the monitoring and discard known oddities as part of the analysis. Call it an additional debug level of paranoia. :-)

-Jim