Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Strange Pix behavior.

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:25:27 -0400

I'm sorry.  You're absolutely correct.  It is not an RST+ACK, but rather a
FIN+ACK from the server in response to a FIN+ACK sent by the browser.

I would wager that if George looks through his logs, he is only seeing these
entries for TCP connections.  The example he gave was specific to HTTP, so I
think this still applies.

As far as the normalcy of this behavior, I think that nearly any stateful
firewall that has multiple clients behind it experiences session state
mismatch, which these log messages are a symptom of.  It's part of the
nature of stateful firewalls.  I wouldn't suggest that anybody eliminate all
'drop' messages from their log stream, but if you know that any drop message
from [someaddr]:80 to [nataddr]:[>1023] is erroneous, why not keep it out of
your monitoring/analysis?

PaulM