Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Host based vs network firewall in datacenter

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:11:35 -0400

Pat, I think you're on the right track, but I would suggest maybe taking a
more holistic approach to your network.  I don't think you've come close to
an exhaustive list of options.

For instance, option #1 is a basic hardening approach which involves
patching and disabling unneeded processes.  This deals with security at the
application level.  Options #2 & #3 deal with just filtering network
traffic.  Is your only point of vulnerability via the network?  Does it only
exist at services that are NOT in use?  Or is it possible (or perhaps even
more likely) that services you want to allow through your filters are usable
attack vectors.  So how about normalizing application traffic through a
proxy, or at least encryption and authentication?

Also, you mention a NIDS project you're undertaking, but what about attacks
against those systems that take place over encrypted channels or terminals
or simply aren't part of the mainstream vulnerability lexicon?  What
monitoring and controls do you have to ensure that your authenticated users
are authorized users, and that those authorized users only do what they are
authorized to do?  What about RBAC?  Or a host-based IDS/IPS product?

I realize I've answered your questions with more questions.  I hope I'm
giving you more food for thought regarding access control to your systems.
There's plenty more where that came from. :)

You have a lot of bases to cover and a lot of things to consider beyond the
three options you list below, all of which serve to reduce the risks of
compromise and loss.

PaulM

PS - Since I hate the answer I just gave you, if you want my non-refundable
$0.02 worth of advice, go with #1 AND #2.  Of the options you're already
considering, I think that gives you the most direct benefit.