Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:23:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Bill Royds wrote:

The problem is that people have never truly analysed trust in a systematic
mathematical way.

Sure they have- and they've analyzed security and security models that way
too- there's the issue-- it's never made it to the field outside of the
old Orange/Red book systems that nobody ever bought.

http://security.dstc.edu.au/staff/ajosang/papers/algcert.pdf for example) but
little of it has filtered into actual practice.  Yet we are building whole

Little of anything good has filtered into actual practice except in
bite-sized chunks or esoteric systems.  For instance, I really like MAC
compartments, but to date, the TrustedBSD folk haven't got their MAC stuff
up to the level of the jails FBSD already has.

financial edifices on completely flawed understanding of how to use distributed
trust. We need to at least develop some systems that do it right so developers
have some way of learning how to create viable systems that can have distributed
security.

We need to have some sort of system that ensures that folks who call
themselves "security practitioners" have at least looked at a
representative sample of "things thought through" and "things done well"
before they go read the marketing blurb for the latest "deep stateful
analytic predictive autonomous modeling prevention cure-o-matic."

I'm willing to start work on a "Good stuff 101-301" area on my Web site,
if folks want to contribute.  I think these links and the stuff Marcus is
providing are good enough reading that they should go to the list.  I'd
argue that most postings of useful publications should be on-list, since
there's half-a-chance that someone with a bored moment might learn
something valuable- but if folks want to send me links off-list, I'll
start on a page-o-links now and try to gather some cohesiveness over time.

Paul