Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: so much for "deny all"

From: "Dave Piscitello" <dave () corecom com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:12:07 -0400

From: Dave Piscitello [mailto:dave () corecom com]

This is very good publicity for firewall vendors not in the list who
provide a default "DENY ALL" in policy configuration. I'll enjoy
tormenting friends at these companies over this:-)

I guess that's one way to look at it. I'd like to think that folks at
those companies will be cringing

for the record, I did mention this to one of the companies listed and
they are moritified.

real world as defined by Gartner.

strip the adjective

Well, the company at which I did my first firewall install replaced
the whole shebang within a year of my leaving, claiming that my
rock-solid Sidewinder infrastructure was too hard to manage

This could begin an new thread entirely: change introduced under the
guise of "complexity" when it really is "we downsized our expertise
and can't do what we did before".

I have seen several organizations replace firewall or VPN
architectures, and almost never for a technical reason - almost always
for political or financial ones.

I've seen SSL VPNs replace IPsec RA VPNs, but the firewall remains
and continues to terminate site-to-site IPsec.