Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: so much for "deny all"

From: "Tina Bird" <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:51:24 -0700

On 7 Jun 2005 at 9:41, Tina Bird wrote:

From the TechTarget coverage of the Gartner Security Summit this
week:

"Next generation firewalls that do deep-packet inspections from
vendors like Juniper Networks, Check Point and Fortinet employ a
heuristics engine and allow all network traffic and behavior, except
those which policy says it must block. Most enterprises, however,
refresh their firewall purchases on a three- to five-year cycle and
that makes it challenging to synch new features."

From: Dave Piscitello [mailto:dave () corecom com]

This is very good publicity for firewall vendors not in the list who
provide a default "DENY ALL" in policy configuration. I'll enjoy
tormenting friends at these companies over this:-)

I guess that's one way to look at it. I'd like to think that folks at those
companies will be cringing, and refusing to pay for multi-martini lunches
(if anyone in this politically correct time still indulges in multi-martini
lunches). Although I wonder how many of the companies that ship with a "deny
all" config will now be accused of being out of touch with the real world,
or at least the real world as defined by Gartner.

But the 2nd statement is very odd, don't you think? Not only is it
remarkably difficult to parse, but it flies in the face of (my)
experience.

Taking the source with a grain of salt, I find it hard to believe
that most enterprises change security vendors every five years.

Well, the company at which I did my first firewall install replaced the
whole shebang within a year of my leaving, claiming that my rock-solid
Sidewinder infrastructure was too hard to manage, and putting in PIXen
instead. But I agree that *most* places don't do that. We're generally
content with the devil we know.

Perhaps 100% of my clients buck this trend. Upgrades, yes.
Forklifting firewalls? I have yet to see this except in circumstances
where the prior firewall failed pitifully in enforcing policy.

I have seen several organizations replace firewall or VPN architectures, and
almost never for a technical reason - almost always for political or
financial ones.