Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:15:09 -0600

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 13:05 -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Frank Knobbe wrote:
My "token" consists of a Java OTP calculator running on my Nokia 9500. A
hardware device with OTP thingy.

Hey, now that's cool! It's probably a bit more expensive for a company
to field to all employees than an obsolete PDA would be, and it's
probably even more expensive than a SecurID card. For now.

Well, I use it not only for authentication (actually, I do not use it
for OTP authentication at all... but I could! :)  I chose that model
since it has a nice, usable keyboard, nice 80x25 screen, and I can do
SecureShell to systems from where ever via GPRS/EDGE.

You made the point, though. There are cheap, mobile devices (like PDAs,
phones) that can calculate one-time responses. The only advantage
SecureID, Vasco, CryptoCard and such have might be ease of use.

Cheers,
Frank