Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:56:36 -0500

Frank Knobbe wrote:
That's why I was never happy with SecureID tokens since the PIN is
transmitted during logon and thus subject to interception by an
attacker. I preferred tokens that require the PIN to unlock the token,
but never transmit the PIN.

This topic comes up SO MANY TIMES it's not even funny. I bet
if we looked through fw-wiz archives we could declare this to
be "Standard Ranum Rant #2978378" and instead of posting
this I could just say:

#include <sys/rant/ranum/2978378.h>

:)   But anyhow....

What amazes me is that organizations seem to think that having
authentication tokens is a) expensive and b) hard. If you look on
the websites for obsolete hardware clearing houses you can
find vintage PDAs for next to nothing and I'm sure you can get them
in quantities. A lot of these PDAs are programmable with SDKs.
For example, a cursory query of BizRate shows that you can get
HP h2210 PDAs (they run windows mobile 2003!) for $51.
It has a clock in it; it's a scheduler for crying out loud. Of course
Security Dynamics has patents on time-syching tokens so that's
not an option but you could cook up a number of cool variants
of the old Atalla authentication used in the Digital Pathways
SecureNetKey (there's compatible source in C for an implementation
in the firewall toolkit code. I know because I put it there)
Bizrate says you can get an Oregon Scientific PDA293 for $9.99.
Did you read that? $9.99. And you get free calendaring thrown
in and it probably can play games, which is more than your
Security Dynamics card will ever do! Franklin RF8120s are $12.
Some of these things have voice recorders and all kinds of
fun stuff. If a company invested a tiny fraction of the cost of
fielding something like a Security Dynamics solution in
integrating some software they could probably have an
enterprise-wide authentication AND scheduling solution. Some
of these puppies have IRDa ports and you could integrate
them with building locks for the cost of a low-end PC and
some software hooked to a $100 electronic lock striker
unit. "Point your token at the door and enter your PIN to open"
how cool is that? Or retrofit the sync cradle and use it as
a door control. Or use it to PGP-sign your documents.
Some of these things have built-in calorie counters! What's
not to like!? ;) "This document was PGP-signed by
Marcus Ranum, at 11:99 at XYZ GPS coordinates and
he had probably eaten too much when he wrote this."

mjr.