Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: risk level associated with VPNs?

From: "Bruce Smith" <bruce_the_loon () worldonline co za>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:16:31 +0200

Good day all

Just when you think you can sit back and have a beer, someone comes
around and scares you. :)

Our VPN connections pass via the same checking systems when they connect
to our servers as the in-house clients do. Servers are isolated on their
own VLAN with ACL's in place, anti-virus and -malware on the servers that
are Windows-infected and IDS hanging around scanning for naughty boys.

The in-house machines access e-mail and web via protected services with
in-line e-mail scanning and desktop anti-virus that scan everything else.
We experimented with anti-virus on the web proxy, but that proved a useless
extra step in the tree.

Now we assume, repeat assume, the VPN machines are adequately protected
against virus, properly updated and patched and are behaving themselves.
Under those conditions, they are the same risk as the in-house machines. But
can we assume this? I think that is the major crux of the VPN question, as
well as the old dial-up user question. And since the VPN connection comes
from a machine that is likely unfirewalled and open to the Internet, we
should
not make this assumption.

We are a university with close on 20000 students, some of whom bring their
own
machine into the network. These are machines that go home and get exposed
there
and we don't have too many problems from that source. We also have had no
problems
from the VPN side as yet. There are two reasons for this that we can see.

1) The protection services inside the network are doing their job. Servers
and
desktops are protected from internal and external attack. Ports and services
are protected by ACL's on the VLAN routers and by the anti-virus where it
applies.
E-mail gateways are locked down and the only access to SMTP is via the
filtering
service. Web has to go via the proxy. Etc.

2) Our VPN users tend to be power-user level and understand security. Now
this does
bias us as an example, since most VPN users out there tend to be office
staff doing
their jobs from outside.

But you have a valid point that we have considered before. There is a
somewhat greater
risk involved with open access to the internal network via VPN. Instead of a
VPN DMZ
solution, it may be easier to explicitly protect vital services with
permanent block
lines in the firewall config. Remember that security is the balance between
protection
and isolation. Something has to get it.

Regards

Bruce