Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco VPN Client Behind a Cisco PIX or Router

From: james <james () jdfogg com>
Date: 01 Sep 2004 15:16:09 -0400

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 12:42, Al Cooper wrote:
I have configured a Cisco VPN Client (4.6.00)  to connect to a Cisco PIX
515E [6.3(3)].  The VPN works great except when the VPN client is behind
another PIX or a Cisco router.   If the VPN client behind a PIX or a Cisco
router I can make the initial connect fine but I cannot pass any traffic
(pings time out and protocols do not connect).

If I am behind my Linux (IPCop) firewall or at a hotel (unknown firewall,
probably a cable modem) I do not have a problem.  I can connect and pass
traffic.

I have run into this also, it has to do with the PIX not having an IPSec
proxy. I did get some help once but never got it to run. As I recall you
need to allow IP port 50 inbound through the PIX that is shielding the
client. Someone clued me into why the solution may have not worked for
me - I had random sequence numbers enabled and that will break IPSec.