Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NIGERIAN EMAIL SCAM

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:01:11 +0100

Servie Platon wrote:
Hello firewall wizards and security experts,

May I ask for some kind of spam 101 tutorial from
anyone. Please kindly enlighten me on how these
spammers or people who send scam emails
indescriminately all over the internet which is kind
of annoying.

The standard way to collect email addresses is to run a spider over the Internet and extract anything that looks like it might be an email address (i.e. recipient () example com), filter it through some sanity checks (optional) and then send emails to each and every address that they have.

Alternatively, many spammers simply buy lists from people who have already done this exercise.

Another way of collecting email addresses is to monitor NNTP (Usenet) feeds, and harvest email addresses of the posters.

To illustrate, do a google search for your own email address, and see what comes up.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22servie_tech%40yahoo.com%22&hl=en&lr=&filter=0

I received an email from this sender"maryam56"
<widowwoman () tiscali it>

This is generally a forged address, but it may also simply be a free webmail account. Often the email is sent from a supposedly reputable organisation such as netscape.com, or other domain, with a request to respond to a different disposable webmail address in the body of the message.

and have sent an email to this address,
selcom01 () amnetsal com

It is generally not worth responding to the senders of such emails. For one, it confirms that your email address is real, and is being read by a real person. Secondly, your email will most likely be deleted without being read.

It MAY be worthwhile forwarding the email to your local authorities, but I suspect that they are already overwhelmed with similar reports.

Now, my question here is this. I have no idea how
these people tend to get email addresses of people
whom they intend to victimize.

See above. If 0.0001% respond, they are probably still making a profit . . .

I am just concerned if ever, my home network might be
compromised though, I have followed all the tips, and
safeguards as suggested by the security gurus and
experts here.

I'd say that it is unlikely that your home network has been compromised. Anyone can send a spam email . . .

I suggest you investigate a spam filtering solution, and ignore these emails in future. It is not an ideal situation, but there are no more effective solutions at the moment.

Regards,

Rogan
--
Rogan Dawes

*ALL* messages to discard () dawes za net will be dropped, and added
to my blacklist. Please respond to "lists AT dawes DOT za DOT net"