Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NIGERIAN EMAIL SCAM

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:40:20 -0000

If your email address has appeared on a website, in a mailing list or anywhere else with public access then expect to be harvested for spam use.

Additionally, spammers will generate plausible email addresses at known domains by simply multiplying a list of firstnames with a list of surnames. They don't care how many emails get bounced to the faked source address.

Emailing spammers is a bad idea as it proves that the email address is being monitored. Expect 100 times the volume of spam now.

There are also lots of other ways.

If you want to stop it, I suggest you run spamassassin (spamassassin.org) or another tool over your email to weed out the spam. Spamassassin will run on a *nix box easily or can be configured to work on Win32 with a suitable POP3 (or other) proxy.

Kev

Hello firewall wizards and security experts,

May I ask for some kind of spam 101 tutorial from
anyone. Please kindly enlighten me on how these
spammers or people who send scam emails
indescriminately all over the internet which is kind
of annoying.

Please refer to the whole excerpts of the email
below/bottom part of this message.

I received an email from this sender"maryam56"
<widowwoman () tiscali it>

and have sent an email to this address,
selcom01 () amnetsal com

Now, my question here is this. I have no idea how
these people tend to get email addresses of people
whom they intend to victimize.

I am just concerned if ever, my home network might be
compromised though, I have followed all the tips, and
safeguards as suggested by the security gurus and
experts here.

However, I am just wondering, since I have a small
home network comprising of linux and windoze boxes I
am worried if and it could be possible that I am in
danger here because, I receive spam or emails with
intent to do scam both in my yahoo account and in my
work/office email account.

Could this be due to the fact that, I have subscribed
at usergroups such as this? What I mean here, if I
post a message to this usergroup or anywhere, these
people might or could get hold of my email address?

Please kindly enlighten me on how these spammers do
this to automatically generate or send emails without
my knowledge.

Hope to hear from anyone whoc could explain so that I
could again peacefully sleep at night.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Servie

<SNIP>

Mail sent from WebMail service at PHP-Nuke Powered
Site
- http://yoursite.com

=====
Sincerely,