Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: vpn end-point

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:40:51 -0500

My experience as well. People tend to size access routers to perform according to the WAN access connection rate.

I am surprised no one mentioned that terminating VPN at the firewall lets you distinguish VPN traffic from all other traffic routed through the firewall (without topological or addressing finagling), and protects VPN traffic to the security policy enforcement point, e.g., across the "DMZ" you have between the router and firewall (unless the router-firewall link is a crossover cable, it's a network, and I've seen people throw IDS/IPS, performance analysis devices, and gee, how about a web server there - and that's only the list of systems they learn about).