Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: vpn end-point

From: paul <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:12:00 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Claussen, Ken wrote:

LOT of CPU on the termination point. Usually Edge routers have more
available resources than firewalls in my experience. HTH.

This is the opposite of my experience.  I've yet to see a router with
enough CPU to do 3DES and handle significant traffic at the same time.
Traffic *to* a router tends to slow things down because (at least for the
green ones) it's process switched.  More CPU for a firewall (of the
non-appliance type) is generally just an upgrade or a swap out.  More CPU
for a router tends to be pretty expensive.

Paul