Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: AIM to iChat AV

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:39:51 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Stiennon,Richard wrote:

Trillian would be good but not supported for OS X. Try Fire by Epicware.
http://fire.sourceforge.net/fire.html

Can you please explain the logic by which you get to "Change out the
client at the end outside of the firewall?"

AFAICT, iChat talks Oscar, which is more functional than TOC- and all
there is for fully functional AIM clients- how "this doesn't go through
the firewall" equates to "change out the client" isn't obvious to me-
Recommending a 3rd party client, especially when AOL makes AIM for OSX,
which should be as functional as a client can get doesn't make much sense
either, since this is a 'through AOL's server' protocol.

Maybe it's their IPS! :-P

More seriously, if you can't get regular text AIM, then the institution is
likely blocking it- that's a policy decision that shouldn't be "gotten
around."

Paul