Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: AIM to iChat AV

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:01:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Michael Tortorella wrote:

[It's about that time again...]

Im working on a mac osx panther system, and I'm trying to connect to
someone on a windows professional system using iChat AV to AIM...they
get an error that says is probably caused by a firewall.  If this
firewall is put in by their network, is there anyway around it?

If the firewall blocks AIM, it's because of the local security policy.
Going "around" a security policy is NOT a good idea.  There's a reason the
traffic is being blocked- even if that reason is "it's not somethine we
want to allow by default."

The person behind the firewall might want to ask their administrator if
they're allowed to connect to AIM- but they shouldn't try to get around a
security policy, that can lead to anything from a stern talking to, to
dismissal, to criminal charges.

Paul