Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IBM SecureWay 4.1 issue with Cisco VPN client

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:39:33 -0500

Kyle,

The most likely culprit is port address translation, or PAT (known as "Hide NAT" on CheckPoint and "masquerading" on
Linux).  If the far end that the VPN client is connecting to is a PIX firewall, it will expect traffic to use UDP 4500
for both the source -and- destination port.  If your firewall is performing PAT, which means that it is translating the
source address and source port of traffic destined for the Internet, this will change the source port of your VPN
client traffic.

There are a couple of things you can do on your end, including configuring static-port for UDP/4500 (don't know if
SecureWay can do this), and configuring a static NAT or one-to-one NAT rule for each machine that needs to connect out
with the VPN client.

The best solution, however, is for the organization on the other end to upgrade their PIX OS to v6.3 and add 'isakmp
nat-traversal' to their config.  This will override the need for the source port to be 4500 as well.  The reason they
should do this is that this won't be the last time they run into this problem.

Hope this helps.

PaulM