Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPS (was: Sources for Extranet Designs?)

From: Chris Blask <blask () protegonetworks com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:42:12 -0800

At 01:08 PM 2/27/2004 -0500, Paul Robertson wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Gary Flynn wrote:

> > It's no wonder proponents are touting universities (apologies to the .edu
> > admins on this list who've overcome those battles the hard way)- where the
> > prove it bad mentality has had it's best survival rate.
>
> Hmmm, it sounds like you're assuming that universities have or had
> a default deny rule. :)

No, the opposite- "prove it's bad and we'll block it" seems to prevail in
academia.

.d. well founded edu bashing.

edu may well be one of those cases where it will always be precisely "prove it's bad" just by the very nature of the beast. Maybe in some perverse way that fact will help drive more secure apps (or at least some answers to the Problem)...?

-chris