Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple small switches vs. a single big one; Granularity of control

From: Mike Meredith <mike.meredith () port ac uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:40:05 +0000

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:36:01 -0500, Sloane, David wrote:
Can anyone with some good Cisco depth rebut these assumptions about a
6500-series switch "losing it's configuration?"

That's not me ... I'm still learning, but ...

nodes).  If you really need gigabit speed firewall throughput between
those networks, the FWSM will probably give you the best throughput
because it sits on the highest-speed link.  For example, the switch
fabric on the 6500 series is up to 720Gbps, depending on the

The supervisor engine may be capable of 720Gbps, but the FWSM certainly
isn't. A single FWSM gives you 5Gbps; four gives you 20Gbps.

supervisor engine.  The FWSM looks like a variant on the PIX OS (with
a different development/testing cycle) and the feature set seems more
limited than the current PIX.

I haven't spotted many limits on the feature set, but yes it's much like
the PIX OS but lagging slightly.

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security