Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: outbound traffic security risk

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:15:26 +0530

On 23/03/04 09:04 -0500, Mitchell Rowton wrote:
Allowing all outbound traffic also increases the likelihood of backdoors
into your network.

http://www.securitydocs.com/links/detail/803

Plus, most of the scans constantly hitting everyones network originates
from a network that doesn't filter outbound traffic.  Of course it would
be hard for an ISP to restrict outbound port 80 traffic, but msrpc and
sql are examples that could be blocked unless needed for specific hosts.
Ahem! ISPs are /not/ corporate providers. They should NOT be blocking
stuff (currently, NetBIOS and a bunch of MS ports exempted, and port 25
outbound, but thats a different beast.). I want my ISP to only give me a
pure network connection and let me run my own services.
Take reactive action against clients who spam, or abuse the Internet,
but the whole role of an ISP is to provide access.

A corporate network, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish.

ISPs MUST filter out traffic which should not originate from their
network, or their downstreams or peers.

 In general, I think that people who don't attempt egress filtering are
bad internet citizens who contribute to my bloated IDS logs.
Agreed.

Devdas Bhagat